I am sure you have all been hearing the words ‘Fractional Laser Treatments’ recently, and the incredible results people are experiencing from it for their skin. For this very reason, I decided to do some research around it.
Now, if you start looking on google, there is a wealth of information and a variation of terminology that might just end up confusing you, which is why I decided to visit Dr Webster and his team down the road from me.
Dr Ian Webster was the very first Dermatologist to bring skin laser surgery to Southern Africa. He also underwent post-graduate training in laser surgery at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, so I figured his knowledge and experience would be very beneficial.
Upon my visit to Dr Webster, he took a good look at my skin and explained what he could see from ‘the naked eye’ with regards to skin texture, sun exposure, and fine lines, and then introduced me to the ever so radiant Sarah Stringer. Sarah is Dr Websters resident Skin Therapist who introduced me to the Visia Complexion Analysis, which is where the fun all began!
What Is The Visia Complexion Analysis System
The Visia system is basically a multi-point positioning system that captures images of the skin using cross-polarized and UV lighting, which are used to record and measure the surface and subsurface skin conditions as seen in the images below.
Spots are typically brown or red skin lesions including freckles, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and vascular lesions. Spots are distinguishable by their distinct colour and contrast from the background skin tone. Spots vary in size and generally have a circular shape.
Pores are the circular surface openings of sweat gland ducts. Due to shadowing, pores appear darker than the surrounding skin tone and are identified by their darker colour and circular shape. The VISIA system distinguishes pores from spots based on size; by definition, the area of a pore is much smaller than a spot.
Wrinkles are furrows, folds or creases in the skin, which increase in occurrence as a result of sun exposure, and are associated with decreasing skin elasticity. This skin feature has the greatest variability from image to image as it is highly dependent upon the facial expression of the client. Wrinkles are identified by their characteristic long, narrow shape.
Texture is primarily an analysis of skin smoothness. Texture measures skin colour and smoothness by identifying gradations in colour from the surrounding skin tone, as well as peaks (shown in yellow) and valleys (shown in blue) on the skin surface that indicate variations in the surface texture.
Porphyrins are bacterial excretions that can become lodged in pores and lead to acne. They fluoresce in UV light and exhibit circular white spot characteristics.
UV spots occur when melanin coagulates below the skin surface as a result of sun damage. They are generally invisible under normal lighting conditions. The selective absorption of the UV light by the epidermal melanin enhances its display and detection by VISIA.
Red Areas represent a potential variety of conditions, such as acne, inflammation, Rosacea or spider veins. Blood vessels and haemoglobin contained in the papillary dermis, a sub-layer of skin, give these structures their red colour, which is detected by the RBX Technology in VISIA. Acne spots and inflammation vary in size but are generally round in shape. Rosacea is usually larger and diffuse compared to acne. Spider veins usually are short, thin and can also be interconnected in a dense network.
Brown marks are lesions on the skin such as hyper-pigmentation, freckles, lentigines, and melasma. They occur from an excess of Melanin. Melanin is produced by melanocytes in the bottom layer of the epidermis. They produce an uneven appearance to the skin and are also detected in VISIA by RBX.
After seeing the in-depth results from my Visia Analysis I realised two things. Firstly, I need to start wearing sunblock and secondly, it is never too early to prevent ageing!
Dr Webster and Sarah then told me about the incredible Clear + Brilliant® Fractional Treatment they do, which of course I had to book to see the results for myself!
Clear + Brilliant®
The Clear + Brilliant treatment provides fractional resurfacing in a package that fills the gap in the continuum of care in the aesthetic practice. It is perfect for patients who want to refresh their look and do all they can to keep their skin looking younger and more radiant.
What Does It Do
This is a powerful, yet gentle treatment that has a number of benefits such as:
– Prevent the signs of ageing
– Improves the look of fine lines
– Helps skin tone and texture
– Improves skin’s overall appearance
– Minimizes the appearance of pores
– Improves the appearance of dyschromia
Getting That Glow
These treatments may sound daunting, so I have listed what you should expect.
- The session requires about 40 – 50 minutes. Prior to the treatment, Sarah applies a topical numbing cream to your face for additional comfort.
- Once the numbing cream has set in, Sarah gently guides the Clear + Brilliant hand-piece across the targeted area and actively treats your skin for approximately 15 minutes.
- Sarah will talk you through the whole process of what she is doing and the various areas she is working over to make sure you are not experiencing any pain or discomfort.
- Ofcourse, bearing in mind, everyone’s skin is completely different. Some people may experience slight prickling or even a burning senstation.
- Once the treatment is complete, your skin will look like a really harsh sunburn (and feel like one too), but do not worry, the burning feeling only lasts for about an hour after the treatment and the sunburnt look fades after several hours.
- There are various recommendations post-treatment that you should take on or alternatively avoid. These are all given to you in great detail on a printed note to take home.
- Having said the above, post-treatment is almost just as important as the treatment itself. Sarah will give you a few products to apply to the skin over the next few days to make sure that the skin heals properly and it protected from anything that could interrupt the healing process.
What About Down Time?
You are going to love this one! There is minimal downtime with this treatment. Often you see people that have something done and they don’t want to leave the house for the next week, but this procedure almost gives you an instant glow!
For about 5 days after the treatment, your skin will feel like sandpaper, but it will not be visible to the eye. Please remember to wear sunblock every day and try to avoid going into direct sunlight during the healing process.
Book Your Session Now
Phone: +27(0)218525858 or +27(0)218525859
Physical Address: 29 Bright Street, Somerset West, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa, 7130
Buy Skin Care Online: www.dermastore.co.za
Dermastore Support: email@example.com / 0860 246 628