If your dog is driven mad with constant itching, scratching, ear flapping and licking, you are not alone. It is estimated that more than 50 percent of allergy cases in pets are caused by flea and environmental allergens like pollens, moulds and house dust mites. Furthermore, scratching damages the skin, allowing allergens to penetrate, which could potentially lead to infections and create a vicious cycle notoriously difficult to eliminate or control.
How to prevent itching in dogs
1. Avoid using alot of shampoo especially harsh shampoos because they dry the skin and can cause irritation. When a dogs skin dries, the skin is easily injured or irritated as the dry skin loses its protective oils. Furthermore, dry skin increases the itch and irritation flea bites and allergens cause.
2. Epsom salt mixed with warm water is great for itching. If you leave near the ocean, take the dog out for a sea bath. Click here to read more on Epsom salt.
3. Ensure your dog has a good diet with enough fat. Omega oil is an excellent supplement. Also, try to feed your dog a variety of vegetables. This helps supply nutrients and antioxidants.
4. If your dog has fleas, adding a drop of cooking oil mixed with just a few drops of mild dog shampoo in about 5 cups water can kill fleas. In addition, the cooking oil with shampoo combination will also kill mites – microscopic creatures that irritate dogs skin.
5. You can also try lemon spray for fleas. Squeeze half a lemon into a spray bottle and the drop the lemon into the bottle. Fill the bottle with water and leave it overnight. Spray onto the dog. Fleas don’t like the lemon.
Introducing new Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™
Now, with new Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™, soothing the itch could be as simple as serving your dog his dinner. Furtermore, this is Hill’s first clinical nutrition formulated to reduce signs of environmental allergies by disrupting the internal allergy response and creating a barrier against future episodes.
Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ is formulated with HistaGuard™ Complex, a proprietary blend of antioxidants, egg, and phytonutrients containing quercitin. Thus, helps continuously manage the immune response to allergens. In addition, Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, such as vitamin E, help break the cycle of inflammation and support skin health, while Omega-6 fatty acids help strengthen the skin barrier.
“Derm Defense helps block environmental allergens, ideally before they trigger a reaction,” said Dr Guy Fyvie, Veterinary Advisor to Hill’s South Africa. “The Histaguard Complex includes ingredients to help decrease the release of histamine and inflammatory cytokines that cause itching. Also, the ability to help interrupt this reaction using nutrition is remarkable.”
“Derm Defense drives healthy skin from within,” Dr Fyvie said. “It’s a great option for pets that suffer from environmental allergies”
Symptoms of a skin allergy or dermatitis include itching, scratching, licking or rubbing more than normal. Furthermore, you may see red or flaky patches, spots, scabs or bald patches, or notice an unpleasant smell. Also, inflamed ears are also commonly seen. Should your dog show any of these signs, consult your veterinarian.
“Early intervention can stop the vicious itch-scratch-itch cycle before it starts,” Dr Fyvie said.
Hill’s Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ is available exclusively from veterinarians around South Africa from October 2016. So, for more information, speak to your vet or visit www.HillsPet.co.za.
Recommended Selling Price:
- Hill’s Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ – 2kgs – R199
- Our Hill’s Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ – 5kgs – R439
- Hill’s Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ – 12kgs – R909