Whether you like a relaxing soak or wish to enhance your beauty effortlessly, making Epsom salt a part of your daily routine can add a whole lot of goodness to your way of life.
To experience the numerous health benefits of Epsom salt, take relaxing, stress-relieving Epsom salt baths three times weekly by adding 1 cup of Epsom Salt to a warm bath and soak in for at least 12 minutes.
For the added benefit of moisturizing your skin, add 1/2 cup olive oil or baby oil. Do not use soap as it will interfere with the action of the salts. If you have arthritic joints move them as much as possible after an Epsom salt bath to prevent congestion in the joints.
As a foot bath, pamper weary feet by adding 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to a basin of warm water. Relax and soak feet for 20 minutes. If you like, rub away any calluses using a pumice stone. Dry feet, then add two drops of peppermint essential oil to your favorite natural moisturizer, like shea or coconut butter, and rub in thoroughly to lock in the moisture. If you are pregnant or have any health concerns, check with your doctor before using Epsom salts
EPSOM SALT USES: HEALTH
1. Athlete’s Foot – Soak feet in an Epsom salt bath to help relieve the symptoms of Athlete’s Foot.
2. Remove splinters – Soak affected skin area in an Epsom salt bath to draw out the splinter.
3. Treat toenail fungus – Soak your affected toes in hot water mixed with a handful of Epsom salt three times a day.
4. Soothe sprains and bruises – Add 2 cups Epsom salt to a warm bath and soak to reduce the pain and swelling of sprains and bruises.
5. Ease discomfort of Gout – Ease the discomfort of gout and reduce inflammation by adding 2-3 teaspoons of Epsom salts into a basin and immersing the affected foot/joint. The water should be as hot as it is comfortable. Soak for about 30 minutes.
EPSOM SALT USES: BEAUTY
1. Exfoliate dead skin – In the shower or bath, mix a handful of Epsom salt with a tablespoon of bath or olive oil and rub all over your wet skin to exfoliate and soften. Rinse thoroughly.
2. Exfoliating face cleanser – To clean your face and exfoliate skin at the same time, mix a half-teaspoon of Epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Gently massage into skin and rinse with cold water.
3. Dislodge blackheads – Add a teaspoon of Epsom salt and 3 drops iodine into a half cup of boiling water. Apply this mixture to the blackheads with a cotton ball.
4. Remove foot odor – Mix a half cup of Epsom salt in warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes to remove bad odor, sooth achy feet, and soften rough skin.
5. Remove hairspray – Combine 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice, and 1 cup Epsom salt. Cover the mixture and let set for 24 hours. The next day, pour the mixture into your dry hair and leave on for 20 minutes before shampooing as normal.
6. Hair volumizer – Combine equal parts deep conditioner and Epsom salt and warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
EPSOM SALT USES: HOUSEHOLD
1. Clean bathroom tiles – Mix equal parts Epsom salt and liquid dish detergent and use as a scrub on bathroom tile.
2. Prevent slugs – Sprinkle Epsom salt on or near interior entry points to prevent slugs.
3. As a hand wash – Mix Epsom salt with baby oil and keep by the sink for an effective hand wash.
4. Clean detergent build-up on washing machines – Fill the machine tub with hot water, add Epsom salt, and run an agitate/soak/agitate cycle to dissolve detergent build-up (please consult your machine’s instruction manual for specific instructions).
EPSOM SALT USES: GARDENING
1. Fertilize your houseplants – Most plants need nutrients like magnesium and sulfur to stay in good health and Epsom salt makes the primary nutrients in most plant foods (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) more effective. Sprinkle Epsom salt once weekly to help nourish your houseplants, flowers and vegetables.
2. Keep your lawn green – Magnesium Sulphate crystals, when added to the soil, provide vital nutrients that help prevent yellowing leaves and the loss of green color (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule) in plants. Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and sprinkle on your lawn to keep the grass healthy and green.
3. Insecticide spray – Use Epson salts on your lawn and in your garden to safely and naturally get rid of plant pests.
Purchase Epsom salts here