All products age with time, including leather. That’s why it’s important to keep your leather bags in tip-top condition throughout the years.
Here’s how to care for your investment piece in five easy steps.
HOW TO CLEAN
• The general principle is simple: remove dirt build-up by wiping down with a damp cloth and dry carefully.
• Remember the hardware. Some bags have precious metal-plated buckles or other hardware. The same applies here, wipe with a damp cloth and dry carefully.
• Every other day, give your bag a brisk sweep with a soft dry cloth, this won’t take more than a few minutes, but will go miles towards preserving the appearance of your bag.
• Use a leather cleaner to clean and protect your leather accessories. These often also provide effective salt stain removal.
HOW TO CONDITION
• Think of conditioning as a moisturizer for your accessories which will dry out over time. To prevent flaking and wrinkling, dab a bit of conditioner on a soft cloth and rub gently all over.
• Condition your bag every month to keep your leather looking it’s shiny best.
• For your waxy, oiled and natural finish leather items use a waxed leather conditioner: it cleans, nourishes and revives your leather accessories.
HOW TO WEATHERPROOF
• Leather is permeable and can never be entirely waterproof, so avoid toting your favourite Jinger Jack handbag in bad weather. Nonetheless, there are beeswax creams which function as a barrier against water.
• Word of caution: beeswax may alter the hue of dyed leather, so test first on an inconspicuous corner.
• A more breathable but less effective alternative: a spray protectant, which is virtually invisible on your bags.
HOW TO STORE
• Stash your bag in a fabric dust-bag and fill it with stuffing, to maintain its shape.
• Keep the dust-bag along with packets of silica gel so your bag doesn’t get damp.
• Air once every two weeks to halt the growth of mold.
SOME FINAL TIPS ON CARING FOR YOUR HANDBAGS
• Let water spills dry naturally. High-heat measures like using a hairdryer will only cause he skin to crinkle beyond salvage.
• Prevent color transfer by consciously resisting the urge to rest your bag against your jeans.
• Leather is basically a skin so avoid leaving it in the sun for too long as it can cause it to dry and change colour.
Get your handbags from our online store at www.lifestyleshoponline.co.za