Couples do it. Parents do it. Some animals even seem to do it. Everybody loves kissing. But nobody likes kissing dry chapped lips. How can you keep your lips healthy? It’s easy when you know a few facts.
Know the three enemies of healthy lips
The first enemy is the sun. Unlike the rest of your body, your lips don’t have melanin. Therefore, they can’t protect themselves from harmful sunlight.
The second enemy is dry air. Lips don’t have sebaceous glands to keep them moist and lubricated.
The third enemy is YOU. You might not realize it, but you most probably bite, lick and wipe your lips alot.
How to stop the assault on your lips
1. Lick your lip enemies with balm and sunscreen. Prevention goes a long way. So, make it a habit to apply lip balm with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher.
2. Don’t forget your lip sunscreen even when it’s not sunny. Even if it’s not warm and sunny, the sun’s rays can still burn your lips. So wear your sunscreen in the winter months too.
3. Drink at least eight glasses of water everyday.Extra water helps keep your lips moist.
Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much water you drink or how much lip balm you apply, your lips just get drier. If they that happens then you need to try this recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need in equal parts:
– Granulated sweetener
– Olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Apply a small amount to your lips.
- Gently rub the scrub into your lips for a few seconds or up to two minutes.
- If time allows, let the scrub remain on your lips for a minute or two.
- Wipe the scrub off gently with a warm, damp face cloth.
- Store the excess in a closed container or jar.
- Enjoy your smoother, softer, healthier lips!
Store in the fridge for a long shelf life.