‘Minimalism’ is generally referred to as minimal art or literalist art. This term is also used to describe the trend in design and architecture.The concept of minimalist architecture is to strip everything down to its essential quality and achieve simplicity.
The reason why I became such a fan of minimalism is because of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which in most cases is not good, but in this case it’s to my benefit.
Minimalism is a tool that can help you in finding freedom; meaning, a minimal based house never has any clutter, or dirt, or the feeling of being overwhelmed.
Other than basing minimalism around housing, I found an article written by The Minimalists who explain that in becoming a minimalist there is ‘Freedom from fear, Freedom from worry, Freedom from overwhelm, Freedom from guilt, Freedom from depression, and Freedom from the trappings of the consumer culture we have built our lives around’ Real Freedom!
Needless to say, many people around the world take minimalism to a whole new level where they genuinely simplify their lives to the extreme for example: not spending money on material things or becoming vegan. Not all of us are able to be complete minimalists due to the continuous demands of society, but a conscious effort to simplify your life may have a great amount of benefits.
So I suggest you start by taking 5 easy steps to give you some freedom:
- Do a spring clean, get rid of all unnecessary items that you don’t use or wear (I give all my old items to charities)
- Stop buying items that you don’t need! I know shopping is fun, and my worst habit is buying anything and everything that looks interesting, but end up staying in a cupboard un-used.
- Clear all flat surfaces around the house, leave only a few décor items or flowers, otherwise, everything else should have their place in a cupboard or drawer, that’s what they there for right?
- Learn to let go emotionally, let go of shoes / jewellery / memories that no longer serve a purpose in your life, move on from your past, its called your past for a reason, start looking forward to the future instead of turning back.
- Lastly, now that you have started letting go of things, just carry on going, you will feel like a weight has lifted off your shoulder.
Living simply, is simply the best way to live!
Trackback from your site.