There is little to beat a whole‑food classic waffle, served with Ice‑cream and honey. Alternatively, you may serve waffles with a variety of healthy toppings.
However, beware of aluminium waffle irons ‑ especially those that have had the non‑stick coating worn off. Non‑stick waffle irons usually do not present a sticking problem, but if they do, use a little oil to grease the plates, then overbake the first waffle and discard it.
A nice variation to the waffle idea is to use a non‑stick `Contact Griller’ to prepare your waffles. This is meant for grilling meat, but it does a fine job on waffles. It uses the same principle as a waffle iron, but the plates have vertical grooves instead of the criss‑cross pattern of a conventional waffle iron.
Classic Waffle Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk (or regular milk)
2 tablespoons oil
Preheat waffle iron.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk milk, eggs and oil in a medium bowl. Whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients until smooth.
Pour one cup of batter into preheated waffle iron. Close top and flip waffle maker. Bake until brown, about three minutes.
Waffle Toppings and Fillings
(1) Honey, cream and sliced banana.
(2) Banana, apple, and dates blended together with a little orange juice or water ‑ plus cream.
(3) Pineapple, peaches and a little water blended together. Serve with cream.
(4) Oven‑roasted peanuts blended with raisins and topped with whipped cream.
(5) Mashed paw‑paw, sliced banana, raisins, sunflower seeds and whipped cream.
(6) Scrambled egg that has been prepared with 1/4 tsp thyme per egg. Plus a home‑made tomato sauce.
(7) Mashed avocado sprinkled with dates and/or nuts.
(8) Avocado, cottage cheese (or mashed tofu) and minced dates, sprinkled with nuts.