I love matcha inspired food creations. Which also means that I finally get to bring to fruition all kinds of baked goodness that I have been dreaming up. These matcha cheesecake brownies are one of the things I have been dreaming of and since this weekend was filled with wind and rain, it was the perfect opportunity to warm the house (and our bellies) with these sweet treats.
Matcha has become one of our very favorite flavors. Not only do we love drinking a matcha latte in the morning when we rise, but our matcha love continues to spread into more and more matcha inspired food creations in our kitchen. Matcha adds such a depth of flavor to baked goods and in this case, it is the ideal contrast to the sweetness of brownies. Similar to adding salt to something sweet, matcha imparts a savory element that lends this dessert a sophisticated nuance that is quite intriguing.
Brownie batter gets topped with matcha infused cheesecake and then dollops of brownie batter get swirled into the matcha cheesecake layer for an effect that gives these brownies their signature marbled look.
…I could stare at this all day…
Warm out of the oven or cooled and then chilled in the refrigerator – either way you enjoy these matcha cheesecake brownies, they are so much better than plain brownies, because what could be better than combining cheesecake with brownies anyway? Add some matcha to the mix and you have one incredible dessert.
The brownie base bakes up beautifully, the matcha cheesecake layer stays soft & tender, and that brownie batter swirl on top gets slightly crisp in just the right way to make these matcha cheesecake brownies a winning combination that you are sure to fall in love with.
MATCHA CHEESECAKE BROWNIES RECIPE
FOR THE MATCHA CHEESECAKE:
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (75g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (12g) high quality matcha
- 4 oz (115g) white chocolate, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 6 tbsp (85g) unsalted butter, diced
- 5 1/2 oz (160g) semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (70g) sweet rice flour (or sub all purpose flour if gluten is not a concern)
- 1 tbsp (4g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (4g) tapioca starch/flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350f degrees & line an 8×8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper
FOR THE MATCHA CHEESECAKE:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese & sugar on medium speed until smooth, stopping to scrape the bowl with a spatula the bowl as needed
- Stop the mixer & sift the matcha into the cream cheese & beat until fluffy, a few minutes
- Add in the melted white chocolate & egg, beat until mixture is well combined
FOR THE BROWNIE BATTER:
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Turn heat to low, add chocolate & stir until just melted. Remove from heat & whisk in the sugar. Whisk in eggs, vanilla, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder & salt, mix until well combined.
- Portion about 3/4 of brownie batter into the prepared pan. Add the matcha cheesecake to the top of the brownie batter in an even layer.
- Add the remaining 1/4 of the brownie batter to the top of the matcha cheesecake layer in tablespoon dollops. Use the tip of a paring knife to swirl the brownie batter & matcha cheesecake into a marbled pattern.
- Bake the brownies on the center rack for 30 minutes. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan. Lift the brownies out of the pan by the parchment paper. Slice into 9 or 16 squares, depending on how large you want your slices.
- Brownies will last 2 days at cool room temperature, 5 days in the refrigerator, or 1 month double wrapped in the freezer.
*To achieve a beautiful green hue with your matcha cheesecake, we highly recommend using a top quality culinary matcha.