Polenta is not very well used here in South Africa but it’s delicious and easy to prepare. It’s a great recipe for Monday which is such a busy day.
On the first day of the week we need something simple and nourishing for supper that won’t break the bank. What’s more, you don’t need to be vegetarian to give it a try.
Polenta & Mushroom Tart Recipe
25 g Butter, Plus Extra for Greasing
850 ml Vegetable Stock
200 g Nature’s Choice Polenta Maize Meal
50 g Grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
2 Rosemary Sprigs, leaves finely chopped
500 g Chestnut Mushrooms, halved
1 Small Bunch Thyme, leaves only
2 tbsp Olive Oil
125 g Ball Mozzarella, drained
1 Large Handful Rocket
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1. Heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan, then slowly pour in the polenta, whisking all the time. Bring it to the boil and bubble for 8 minutes, whisking continuously.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, butter, rosemary and plenty of seasoning. Spread the polenta over the lined tray and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix the mushrooms with the thyme and some seasoning. Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms in a couple of batches until golden.
5. Tear the mozzarella into pieces and pat dry with kitchen paper.
6. Top the baked polenta with the mushrooms and mozzarella, then bake again for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
7. Scatter the rocket over the tart and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
Tags: Mushroom Tart Recipe, Polenta, Recipe