Forget shop-bought gherkins and pickles. Making your own sweet pickled gherkins the old-fashioned way, with natural ingredients has never been easier!!
This recipe is so easy, ANYONE can make them! In fact, it’s a great activity to do with your kids! Here’s what to do…
Pickled Gherkins Recipe
1 Tbsp Salt, plain salt8 cups Water, soak gherkins in brine for 24 hours2 cups White vinegar3 cups Water2 Tbsp Pickling spice¼ cup Sugar1 bunch Fresh dill, dill, fresh is best but dried may be used2 florets Garlic, whole cloves + add to shopping list
What to do
1. Soak gherkins 24 hours in brine made from 1 cup plain salt to 8 cups of water.
2. Remove from brine and wipe clean and reasonably dry.
3. Make a vinegar solution of 2 cups of white vinegar to 3 cups of water.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of pickling spice, 3/4 cup of sugar and as much dill as you like – dried dill may be used.Let this come to the boil and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add gherkins at once.
5. Into each quart jar place 2 cloves of garlic. Pack gherkins into jar with at least 1 tablespoon of dried dill.
6. Put vinegar back on heat and bring to boil. Pour over gherkins in jars having the liquid cover the gherkins and seal at once.I usually make up a large preserving pan of vinegar solution and keep topping up as needed. I normally do 5 kgs over two days, but depends on how many gherkins you have. May be used for a jar a day if picking your own.