Causes of dry or itchy skin in dogs:
- Living in an region with low humidity
- Dry dog food with not enough nutrients and probiotic bacteria
- Detergents used to was their bedding
- Household cleaners
- Tropical flea medications
- Boredom or lack of exercise
- Dog’s stress levels
Dry skin can be influenced not only by environmental factors, but also by diet. Many commercial pet foods process out the good oils that contribute to healthy skin and shiny hair. The wrong dry pet foods can have an dehydrating effect on skin and hair and also stimulate increased thirst.
Home Remedies for dogs with itchy skin:
- Use Epsom salts mixed with warm water to wash the affected area. (Ocean water works even better if you live near the beach). Order Epsom salt online, click here.
- Too much dog shampoo could also be causing the skin to dry and can cause irritation.
- When your dog needs a bath, try using plain water, a good, non-drying solvent. If you must use shampoo, use a moisturizing type with humectants, and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Avoid blow dryers.
- Rub olive oil or coconut oil onto the dry patches on your dog’s skin.
- A small amount of coconut oil can also be added to your dog’s drinking water.
- Make sure the dog has a good diet with enough fat (but not too much).
- Fish oil is an excellent supplement for Omega 3.
- Feeding a variety of vegetables to your dog helps supply nutrients and antioxidants. You can add olive oil as a supplement to your dog’s food.
Try buy a high quality brand of food for your pets, which has Omega 3 & 6 as well as the required antioxidants and protein for strong muscle growth and healthy skin and fur coat. I would recommend Hill’s Science Plan Sensitive Skin, it costs about R250 for a 3 kg bag, depending on where you purchase it from. Find the nearest supplier of Hill’s products here.
Article Author: Lynette Redelinghuys
Why Select Hill’s Pet Nutrition:
Each and every one of the people working at Hill’s understands that special bond that exists between you and your pet. Which is why we work so hard at providing you with the best nutritional care available to ensure that relationship stays good and healthy.
We are constantly innovating to ensure the highest quality ingredients and optimal balance of nutrients to meet you pet’s specific age, breed and medical needs. Perhaps this explains why Hill’s pet foods are what vets choose to feed their own pets.
We believe all animals – from your pet to the companion animals we care for – should be loved and cared for during their lifetimes. That’s why we’re proud our pet foods can make a difference in your pet’s life. We make this pledge to you about our commitment to the welfare of animals everywhere.
Nutrition Is Vital:
We firmly believe that the right pet nutrition is vital to pets’ living long, healthy lives. Our research, directed from the Global Pet Nutrition Center, helps make Hill’s the global leader in nutritional health care for companion animals, allowing us to provide the right formulas for precisely balanced nutrition that meets the wellness and therapeutic needs of pets worldwide.
The Right Nutrients In The Right Quantities:
Guided by evidenced-based research, Hill’s formulates its complete pet foods with a precise balance of 50 nutrients to meet the specific needs of pets, based on their lifestage, lifestyle, size or special needs. Carefully avoiding too little or too much of certain nutrients is important because a wide range of common disease conditions can be made worse, or even caused by, consistently feeding a diet with an incorrect balance of nutrients. Look at the table below to see how the most important nutrients will influence your pet’s health:
Does your dog need more exercise? How about getting your pet an Aerobie Dogobie, click here