This week, in our second edition of the Recipe of the Week, we turn to accomplished food and lifestyle blogging website Woman and Home. A vegetarian dish, but one that is suited to the Winter months: Vegetarian soup. Now that Winter has truly kicked in, it is important to adapt our lifestyles accordingly. That includes in fashion, keeping fit, and of course, food!
Preparation Time: 25
Cooking Time: 20
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut intosmall dice
- 2 sticks celery, cut into small dice
- 2 leeks, trimmed and cut into small dice
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- grated Parmesan, to serve
For the parsley pesto:
- 50g (2oz) flat-leaf parsley, stripped from the stalk
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 25g (1oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 25g (1oz) Parmesan, finely grated
- 4tbsp olive oil
- To make the soup, heat the oil in a large saucepan, and when hot, add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and leeks. Sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the tomato purée and stir well, then add the tomatoes, chilli, cannellini beans, herbs and 300ml (0.5 pt) water. Season the soup well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- To make the parsley pesto, place all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor and blitz. Then, with the motor running, slowly addthe oil until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme from the soup. Serve in large warm bowls with a spoonful of parsley pesto on top and a little Parmesan. You can leave this soup in the fridge for up to two days and it freezes well.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com
To see our previous Recipe of the Week, click here!
Life Retreat is stocking a wide variety of health food & drink. Why not take a look?