WEAR PURPLE FOR PREEMIES in aid of World Prematurity Day 2016 – Thursday 17th November 2016
The Newborns Groote Schuur Trust would like to invite you to join us in celebrating our 4th annual ‘WEAR PURPLE FOR PREEMIES’ World Prematurity Day initiative. This was the first campaign launched in South Africa to raise awareness about the challenges of premature birth for babies and parents. We are proud to announce that our support has been steadily growing through South Africa for this life saving cause!
Over 60 countries and 1.5 billion people join together on the 17th November each year. This is to celebrate World Prematurity Day. Also, to raise awareness about the global problems of pre-‐term birth, the needs of prematurely born babies and cost-‐effective interventions for mothers and babies before, during and after childbirth.
Did you know?
- 1 baby is born pre-‐term worldwide every 30 seconds and 1 in 7 babies born in South Africa are born prematurely.
- More children die from being born too soon than from Aids, Malaria or Diarrhoea.
- In most cases the exact cause of preterm birth is unknown.
Although the incidence of premature birth is increasing worldwide, the general public know very little about preterm babies. Pre-‐term birth refers to a baby born at less than 37 weeks gestation. And, many of a baby’s organs including the brain, lungs and liver need the final weeks of pregnancy to fully develop. Babies who survive pre-‐ term birth often face the increased risk of a number of health problems.
So, on 17th November, we will join together with millions of other supporters from all around the world. This will be to honour the 15million babies fighting for their lives on a daily basis in NICU’s (Neonatal Intensive Care Units. Also, we will be honouring the 1.1 million newborn babies who have not survived this fight. And those prematurely born babies who fight on going health problems and disabilities daily because they arrived too soon.
Join us so that we can make sure that every newborn baby gets the best start in life!
How to get involved
- Get your R10 sticker and wear PURPLE on the 17th November and get family, friends and colleagues involved. Also, stickers are available from the Newborns Groote Schuur Trust office email@example.com. Tel: 021 404 6025/23 and selected ToysRUs stores – contact Newborns details of other stockists.
- Keep an eye on our Facebook page facebook.com/newbornstrustSA. Here we’ll have news, competitions and events. Also, don’t forget to share our posts with your friends!
- Join the official World Prematurity Day Facebook page and share your story.
- Make donation online on our website newborns.org.za so that we can continue our life saving work.
For more information or if you would like to be a Wear Purple for Preemies supporter please contact the Newborns Groote Schuur Trust. Tel: 021 4046023/25 or 0822542652 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Play a role in helping to raise awareness about the global problem of pre-‐term birth and the needs of prematurely born babies. We can do more to reduce this growing problem.
EVERY BABY COUNTS!