I’m sure you’re wondering “why afternoon?.” Well, if you tend to reach for a chocolate at 3pm to boost your mood, then you should stay away from it.
This is because a study shows that relying on a temporary sugar rush could be making your mood swing worse. Here’s why…
Most people turn to comfort eating when under strain. Unfortunately, there’s far more than just weight gain to worry about. This is because scientists have discovered that turning to junk food such as chocolates to boost your mood can backfire. In fact, it can and does further worsen your mood.
It doesn’t end there
According to the DailyMail, the study further shows that women worried about their diet feel worse after eating junk food, especially if they were already in a bad mood to start with. So, chocolate won’t just worsen your mood but leave you feeling guilty. This means that the more you eat, the worse you feel.
So, why not just steer clear of chocolate and go for different mood boosters instead? Try these alternatives…
Six alternative ways to boost your mood
1. Drink more water! Yes! Dehydration causes fatigue and agitation.
2. Sleep atleast 8 hours a day. Sleep means repair. Rested people are happier people.
3. Be thankful. Write down 5 things you’re thankful for each day. Remembering what you have rather than what you don’t have, we instantly feel better.
4. Remember to cleanse. A clogged gut and liver from excess drinking, sugar, and an overall toxic load, makes your body struggle to make the feel-good hormones such as serotonin.
5. Avoid caffeine including energy drinks. The adrenaline from caffeine will effect your moods. If you’re stressed or feeling low, this can have drastic effects.
6. Take B vitamins. Bs—folate, B6, and B12 can help boost your mood.
Remember not to ignore the chocolate cravings. This is because a food craving means you’re running low on certain minerals. So, don’t forget to keep a list of your cravings so you can discuss them with your doctor.