The Edge Mountain Retreat in Hogsback is surrounded by cliffs, dramatic views and indigenous forest – complementing the pristine, natural environment which Hogsback offers.
The Edge offers a range of accommodation options for individuals, families and groups, including self-catering cottages (some perched on the edge of the cliff) and bed-and-breakfast rooms, all set in 15 acres of beautiful cool climate gardens. We offer our guests space, quiet and restfulness.
From the edge of the cliff, which runs along the side of the property, there are spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and a deep gorge with beautiful, unspoilt indigenous Afromontane forest, often with a show of fascinating swirling mists and cloud formations.
Our Restaurant at The Edge offers good food (locally grown organic when possible) and tea-time treats, and our Vula Vista Venue is a special space for wedding receptions, conferences, workshops and yoga retreats.
Revive: Body Mind & Spirit is a 3 day workshop @ The Edge Mountain Retreat in Hogsback. Pamper yourself before the busy end of year season starts.
Come, explore and enjoy a Life-Enhancing Experience at the ReVive: Body, Mind, Spirit weekend in Hogsback. See event here
Hogsback is situated in the Amatola Mountains of the Eastern Cape Province, about 1 300 m above sea-level. By road from Queenstown (to the north), Grahamstown (to the south) and East London (to the east), it is approximately one and a half hours drive. Hogsback was recently voted (by Getaway Magazine) as one of the top ten most beautiful destinations in South Africa.
The area is also steeped in history; in the 1800’s, it was from these very cliffs along the Hogsback escarpment that the Xhosa warriors descended into the Tyhume Valley to engage in battle with the British Frontier Troops. One of these battles was the famous Christmas Day Massacre of 1850.
Hogsback, with its wonderful mountains, spectacular views, mystical forests, swirling mists, beautiful birds, butterflies and mushrooms, and its often glorious sunsets, has an air of enchantment and tranquillity all of its own. It is the ideal holiday destination for nature lovers. Hogsback is well known for its beautiful spring, summer and autumn gardens. It often snows in winter and this is always a reason for much excitement and celebration!
Once in Hogsback, you are surrounded by mountains and indigenous forests with waterfalls and magical streams. You can explore Hogsback by means of hiking trails, short or long walks, leisurely drives, or by mountain bike. We can organise horseriding and mountain bike hire. There are superb hikes and mountain bike rides through beautiful indigenous forests, along magical forest streams, past some stunning waterfalls, with spectacular views of the mountains and the valley below.
There are two game reserves within 60 km of Hogsback. At the local hotels there are swimming pools, a tennis court and bowling green which may be used with permission. The village has a small grocery stores, a Post Office, a quaint Chapel, several local craft venues and the award winning Eco-Shrine. Some local artists have their studios open to the public.
- Voucher is valid for 1 year
- If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner. The winner will be sent a voucher in the post. The voucher must be presented on arrival at The Edge. The winner’s reservation must be made in advance to confirm availability. The prize may not be exchanged for cash. Prize is valid for 1 year from date of award, only for out of season and excluding public holidays & long weekends.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice
- For complete list of terms and conditions, please click here
Rules to enter this competition:
- In the comments below, answer the following question:
- When is the next ReVive workshop at The Edge Mountain Retreat?